State of implementation of the OECD AI Principles: Insights from national AI policies
As policy makers and AI actors around the world move from principles to implementation, this report aims to inform the implementation of the OECD AI Principles.
Visit the OECD iLibrary to download the report
The OECD “State of Implementation of the OECD AI Principles: Insights from National AI Policies” report looks at how countries are implementing the five recommendations to governments contained in the OECD AI Principles and examines emerging trends on AI policy.
This report is the product of a year’s work by the OECD.AI Network’s Working Group on national AI policies.
What’s in the report?
This report identifies challenges and good practices for implementing the OECD AI Principles’ five recommendations to governments:
- Invest in AI R&D;
- Foster a digital ecosystem for AI;
- Shape an enabling policy environment for AI;
- Build human capacity and preparing for labour market transformation; and
- Foster international co-operation for trustworthy AI.
It also gives practical advice for implementing the OECD AI Principles throughout each phase of the AI policy cycle:
- Policy design: advice for national AI governance policies and approaches;
- Policy implementation: national implementation examples to illustrate lessons learned to date;
- Policy intelligence: evaluation methods and monitoring exercises, and;
- An overview of AI actors and initiatives at the international level with approaches to international and multi-stakeholder co-operation on AI policy.
About the report
As policy makers and AI actors around the world move from principles to implementation, this report aims to inform the implementation of the OECD AI Principles. This is the first report on the state of implementation of the policy recommendations to governments contained in the OECD AI Principles that were adopted in May 2019.
It builds both on the expert input provided at meetings of the OECD.AI Network of Experts working group on national AI policies that took place online from February 2020 to April 2021 and on the EC-OECD database of national AI strategies and policies.
Re-watch the launch of the OECD report on national AI policies
On 22 June 2021, the European Commission’s Directorate General Connect (DG Connect) and the Directorate General Joint Research Centre (DG JRC) and OECD AI Policy Observatory team within the OECD’s digital economy policy division organised a webinar on national AI strategies in Europe. The webinar introduced the updated AI Watch “National Strategies on Artificial Intelligence: A European Perspective” report and the OECD ‘State of Implementation of the OECD AI Principles: Insights from National AI Policies’ report on national AI policies. It also presented the new initiatives and features on the EC-OECD database of national AI strategies and policies.
To re-watch the webinar and download the presentations, click here.